11.01.2007

RIP wrap up...

I'm going to do a quick wrap up from Carl's RIP 2007.

I was part of the Peril the First in which I agreed to attempt the following:

Read four books from any of the genre's discussed on Carl's blog and so I chose...

1. The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics) by H. P. Lovecraft and others (because of the movie my family members are involved with)
2. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (because Jen told me I should)
3. Lisey's Story by Stephen King (because I've never been able to resist his work for long)
4. Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore (yes, lightweight, but I think I'll need it by the time I get here, and hearing Mystical laughing out loud at another of his books just makes me want to dive into something totally irreverent and funny just in time for the darkening days of November)

I read these books, plus books two and three of the Vampire series of books by Stephenie Meyer. Because the story by Lovecraft that the movie I have family involved with was not in the book I mention in 1, I had to get another book of stories by Lovecraft. That way I was also able to read the story, The Thing on the Doorstep, which I found delightfully creepy!

I really loved being involved with this challenge. It forced me to step outside of my usual reading rut of NYT bestseller list novels, chicklit books and autobiographies. And I entered the realm of H. P. Lovecraft. I ended up reading several of these short stories aloud, sharing them with HBB. They were even more fun read this way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

speaking of...
i found the movie.

-keli

HalfBrainBoy said...

I'm say it again. It's REALLY nice to read a book together. Especially when it's a scary book. That Lovecraft. He's one crazy dude.