11.03.2007

HalfBrainBoy: My Coffee




I've mentioned that I have in my kitchen at least 7 different devices and methods for making coffee. I guess you could say I have a plethora of coffee toys. Or, you could say I have a problem.

"Coffee, thou are my friend."

I do like coffee. Just a little.

I like the nuances of coffee that is created different ways. I also like the looks of coffee-making devices. Some people collect stamps. I collect different ways to ingest caffeine. Same difference.

Now, I present proof.

I've thought about showing proof for awhile now. Keri suggested I take a picture to show all of my coffee stuff. I agreed. Someday, if I can locate everything, and also locate a bunch of clear counter space in my apartment, I would take a picture.

Then, last week, tragedy struck. I grabbed some mail from the counter. There was an instant frozen in time as I saw the French press start towards the edge. I stood frozen as it crashed to the floor, shattering into an explosion of glass shards and still-wet coffee grounds. What a sad sight. And, damn it, I needed coffee! Right now!

I toyed with the idea of straining the glass from the grounds splattered across the floor. But, I realized the half hour to scoop up the glassy, caffeinated mess would far surpass even the most lenient "5 second rule" concerning food on the floor.

I debated leaving the mess for morning. It was late. Keri texted a stern warning that I would regret that. So, I longingly scoop up the grounds and glass and cleaned up the appliances and cabinets.

So, to make a short story very long, I was motivated to capture my dwindling coffee crap before there was too little to brag about. (errr, rather, to be embarrassed by?)

Without further ado, I present for your consideration, "Keith's coffee collection."

There's the standard brewer that wakes me up each morning. This guy keeps me awake enough to be employable. I guess I owe him a lot.

There's the press pot mug that Keri brought me from her last Badlands trip. This gets me through the weekends. And, it's cute to have matching his and hers coffee mugs.

Next, there's the teeny-tiny French press. This one is advertised as unbreakable. I'm starting to appreciate this feature.

The espresso machine. Keri surprised me with this a few Christmases ago. I love making coffee when it actually takes some skill to produce a palatable result. And, I love the fun accessories I got from wife and daughter two Christmases ago.

Italian coffee maker. It's been used twice. Coffee is good. Kind of fun to watch. But, it's left red paint on two different stoves now.

Single cup filter. This guy I bought to try my hand at making coffee like they make in our favorite Vietnamese restaurant. I even special ordered some Vietnamese beans. If I remember right, Keri thought the results choked down pretty well.

Uhhh. I'm embarrassed. In the effort to be complete, I had to include this. It is, after all, a way to make coffee. I use it as my emergency coffee stash. See that red box? At the sound of the depleted caffeine alarm, rip open the box. Tear the pouch. Place in boiling water. Pace while it brews. Drink very fast. *Ahhhhh*

If I count right, that's 7 remaining coffee-making devices. The 8th *sniff* will need to be replaced someday. As I type this, I realize there is another medium French press that I visit on weekends.

Oh, and those bean grinders. You never know when one might break down. So, it's always good to keep a spare. *Heh* (Keri, missing your burr grinder yet?)

So, now you can stop wondering. It is true. I have at least 7 ways to make coffee.

Have a good, wakeful day. I know I will.


6 comments:

creechmark said...

The underlying support structure is too white, pristine.

kate said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmm: coffee . . . . would you please come to my home and make me coffee? does keri rent you out? seriously . . . you are the godlet of coffeee brew . . . what tribute should i send??? :)

KinnicChick said...

I just know you are missing some implements here. This is not nearly all of them. What are you hiding? ;)

kenju said...

kinnicchick, thanks for the visit and comments; now we have a third thing in common: the love of coffee! I hope you will come back often (we can discuss the Carol Burnett show and DWTS!

Mel said...

I wish I had the storage space for all types of coffee makers. I have one regular type plug in thingy for when company is here. Otherwise, since I am the only coffee drinker in the house, I make mine a cup at a time with this one cup filter thingy:

http://www.kitchenkapers.com/3291.html

Some days, I'd like something a little fancier, but hey - it does the trick. Maybe if hubby picks up on coffee, we'd go to a coffee maker. But the kiddo has to be a bit older first. I think 10 is a bit young to start on coffee.

For me, the best coffee is almost always a cup someone else makes for me. :D

HalfBrainBoy said...

kate, I'd be happy to be rented out for coffee. Any way I can share the goodness of coffee.

mel, I just looked up the small coffee filter you mentioned. I think I'll soon have an 8th way to make coffee. Looks like a great gadget.

kinnicchick, I'm pretty sure that these are all my coffee devices. BUT, Christmas is coming pretty soon. *hint, hint*