10.11.2007

Lisey's Story Review

A quick review for the RIP Challenge...

I didn't want the department of complaints write up I did here to be the one and only thing I wrote about this book and therefore the only thing I could link for Carl's review site, so I thought I would write up a quick little review.

I had some difficulty getting involved in Stephen King's novel, Lisey's Story. But I don't believe that was anything inherently wrong with the book itself. To be quite honest, I think the problem was more me wanting to get back to the Twilight series. I made the mistake of reading Twilight first and having three completely different books for the remaining challenge books when what I really wanted to read instead was New Moon and then Eclipse. I didn't want to have anything to do with another author or set of characters. My head was still wrapped up in Edward and Bella. I had chuckled my way through a completely off the wall book with Coyote Blue, but now King was expecting me to look at relationships and love and death and something more real life...

Once I took a look at the calendar and saw that I had started book three of the challenge on the fourth of September, however, I took a breath and gave myself permission to relax about it and promised myself that if I would just settle in and read it and give it a chance, I could take some time away from the challenge to finish the Twilight series before going on to book four. (I knew that would take about three or four days out of my time, so what was the big deal? And realistically, they were part of the genre and would count toward the challenge if I needed to swap them in for part of it anyway...)

So I settled in to Lisey's Story. The tale starts two years after the death of Lisey's husband, a novelist of some regard. (A stretch here for a King story, eh? ;) A writer character!) She is beginning to reach a place where she can start to face saying goodbye by closing up his writing study, part with some of his things and face his darkness.

As I looked into selecting a new novel from his works and read some reviews on this piece before making my purchase, I noticed that others said this was a personal book for him that had a lot to do with his relationship with his wife and things he has been through or emotions he has been through since his accident. I don't know about that, but I do see this as a very different kind of novel from others he has written. There isn't a physical thing that is bad, like so many of his earlier works (I'm thinking here of Cujo and Christine, The Firestarter, etc.). This has more of the inner demon theme going.

9 comments:

creechmark said...

I haven't read that one. He might be over his brilliant period. Happens to all of them.

Bookfool said...

I don't think I've yet read a single positive review of Lisey's Story, so you're not alone. I haven't read it, myself; I decided to avoid it based on friends' comments.

Chris said...

I personally loved Lisey's Story...but unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority there, lol! It's definitely a departure from King's typical novels. Glad you gave it a read though!

creechmark said...

Did I mention how beautiful your blog banner is?

KinnicChick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KinnicChick said...

made a mistake when I wrote this review. I forgot to say one thing. And I guess this is because of the lateness of the hour. Yeah, I know. It says I wrote it at 9. That's when I wrote the title. I came back and wrote it around midnight.

I liked the book. The start was rocky. In fact, the first hundred pages took me a lot of time. But overall? I liked it. It took a lot to divert me from Bella and Edward. But this did.

Reading through the other comments awakened me to the fact that I needed to really read through what I wrote the other night because I gave the impression that I had some serious dislike of this book. heh. Surprise!

Thanks, Mark. I took the photo during a visit to a friend's cabin a few weeks ago. This was on a walk at a State wildlife area. Very nice walking paths. There are a few other shots from the walk out on my flickr site.

Lightheaded said...

Hi. I got here while browsing through the R.I.P.ing Yarns site. I'm reading Lisey's Story now so I barely skimmed over your post. So far though I'm enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading Lisey's Story. I have been a Stephen King fan since high school, and that's been awhile. I have to say that I really loved this book. It was different from the others. I must admit that it's been awhile since I've been engrossed in a King book, but this story kept me engrossed to the end. I loved everything about it and I loved the bittersweetness of the ending.

Anonymous said...

"Lisey's Story", I personally think is an AWESOME book, I'm not going to lie, the first half was exceedingly boring but I didn't give up on the book because I hoped it would get better towards the climax, and I'm pleased to say it did. It is such a charming, complex love story of two completely different people that come together and understand eachother not physically, but emotionally and intellectually, sorry for my spelling if its bad, that I'm shocked to know that all those ideas came from this man's head. Their love is so strong, he saves her from the grave! They represent the couple that I want to be a part of some day, so complete and full of understanding of eachother that words dont need to be said, and any language real or made up is understood. I do have one word of advice for any one else out there willing to read it, don't bother reading reviews BEFORE you read the book, maintain your mind open and see where the book takes you. This is my first Stephen King book, but I have a good feeling that it defenitely will not be the last.
:-)