9.25.2007

RIP 2007

And now, because of the latest update over at Carl's place (he's having a contest which is sending participants of the RIP Autumn reading challenge off to everyone's sites) I thought I should do an update on how I'm doing toward the challenge. I've had my first drive-by visitor earlier today and they had to go back a month to see my last update on the challenge.

So I signed up for Peril the First and the following four books:

  1. The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics) by H. P. Lovecraft and others (because of the movie my family members are involved with)
  2. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (because Jen told me I should). I thought this was a terrific first novel. And while it bills as a young adult novel, from what I'm getting from reviews from other bloggers around the net, I'm not the only adult who is enjoying the series. It is, as many (most?) other vampire stories, focused more on relationship than the whole vampire theme itself, and after having read through other series' of this nature (The Vampire Chronicles comes to mind by Anne Rice), I have to admit that perhaps I should have been reading those in the YA genre all along because I appreciate the theme to lean more heavily in the relationships than in the gore.
  3. Lisey's Story by Stephen King. Normally I do not fear anything by SK. But this novel was hefty in weight and I was worried about reviews I’d been seeing when I made the purchase. Every review talked about the cutesy secret language he used between the characters. This had me worried and when I picked up the book I piecked it up with serious doubts and did so very slowly. I was only 25 or so pages into it when I spent last Friday writing with Marge and told her that I didn’t know how I was going to slog my way through “the King novel.”

    Marge: Which book are you reading by him?
    Me: Lisey’s Story
    Marge: What is it that you don’t like about it?
    Me: I’m just having a really hard time getting into it. It is starting so slowly.
    Marge: I read it. I really liked it. It isn’t much like his other works…

    And she went on to tell me how she felt about it and that seemed to open me up and give me some sort of permission to let go of my pre-conceived notions (which I never have after reading reviews… seriously? Reviewers piss me off typically because I usually read bad movie reviews and then go storming into theaters ready to do battle and prove them all wrong so what was up?). I still despised the cutesy language, but by the end, I got it. Or rather, I swallowed it for the most part. The main character, Scott, had been through some serious shit as a youngster. And in my head? I heard his voice (young voice) as Caleb, the young boy from American Gothic (someone’s at the door…) and he totally deserved to have as many oogy boogy made up cutesy words going on in his world as he wanted. Whatever of those he wanted to, he could share with his wife, that’s cool. He was a survivor and she was his savior. And it’s SK. So you have to go with the flow. Here’s a man who has written over fifty novels. They aren’t all going to speak like they were educated and have the same flat dialect as I want them to. Very few people can pull off writing with an accent. By the end of the novel, I was grooving with it is what I’m saying. It took me several hundred pages to get there, and who wants to trip so much when there is such a story to be had while you are stumbling along??? Holy jeebus could I beotch about it a little longer?

  4. Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore. I knew I’d probably find this funny after having been read some excerpts of his stuff by a friend. But I had no idea what a crazy romp through Wild Mind I’d be on with him. Native American legend, spirituality, destiny seeking… absolutely out there. And I enjoyed every bit of it, enough to know that it left me hungry for more of his writing. I’ll be reading Lamb next. (Some time after the challenge, of course.)

As it stands now, I've finished all of them but the first one. And I'm slowly plugging my way through that one. In addition I also read New Moon and Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer and will be waiting for book four with Keli, probably sitting in line at the damn bookstore the day it comes out. For the first time ever. Because we are hooked. Or I am, at least. Over a ridiculous YA relationship/series.

I mention about number one that I chose it because of a movie my family is involved with. I actually ended up buying the wrong book. As a result I've ordered another book which has the write story in it, but it was out of print and will not arrive for potentially a couple more weeks. In the meantime I've decided to read The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories in addition to the other one. I'm not even certain the one on order will arrive in time to read it before I was rather hesitant to dig into the Lovecraft because I've never been that into science fiction, which is what I understood his genre to be for the most part. Since beginning the book and working my way through the first few stories, I'm realizing that it's far more than a bit of science fiction.

So I'm enjoying this challenge and am very glad that I've joined on. I've discovered a new/old writer, a new/new writer, and managed to get back to doing some serious reading over the past month. Now, as Mystical says, I just need to kick it into high gear on my writing, and seeing as how NaNoWriMo is opening up the gates of their website next week, I'm sure that is going to take off soon, too.

Who's up for writing a novella in the month of November? huh?

10 comments:

jenclair said...

I love this challenge. Not only for the books, I read myself, but for the new titles other people discover!

Nicola said...

I'm looking forward to your review of Coyote Blue. I've just started reading Moore and love what I've read so far.

Michelle de Seattle said...

a possum streaked through my house this afternoon.

Rhinoa said...

I read Twilight too and loved it. I can't wait for Eclipse to come out in paperback in the UK so I can read the next two. My husband loes Lovecraft, it seems very dark and I plan on reading some maybe next year.

Stephanie said...

I love this challenge too!! It's pretty much my favorite time of the year: the leaves are turning, there's a chill in the air, and Halloween!! I have Twilight on my list too. (For the record, Lamb is hilarious!)

Court said...

I'm interested to see what you have to say about Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu. I know some people who have a bit of an obsession with the whole Cthulhu thing... I tried reading an anthology of stories from the Cthulhu mythos, but found it difficult to read a lot all at once.

Eva said...

I'm enjoying this challenge a lot as well. :)

Lightheaded said...

I enjoyed Twilight too! And New Moon as well. Will read Eclipse soon. I wasn't even planning on reading it until I got interested in the cover and clicked on Carl's link during the RIP Challenge announcement.

cj said...

HP Lovecraft was a master story teller, whatever the genre. I hope you enjoyed his works.

cjh

Blogger said...

Did you know you can shorten your urls with AdFly and receive $$$$$ for every visit to your shortened urls.