8.27.2007

RIP 2007

So I mentioned the other day something about a reading challenge. We happen to be entering a busy truffle season over at the chocolate factory, but at night? I can read. When I'm not trying to catch up with my long list of blog friends. And out surfing the various furniture and decorating websites figuring out what else we need to put in the new casa. But there is always a little time for reading. I mean, a person has to fit coffee in to live, and reading is right up there with breathing and coffee...

I have decided to take on Peril the First. My list looks like this:

  1. The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics) by H. P. Lovecraft and others (because of the movie my family members are involved with)
  2. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (because Jen told me I should)
  3. Lisey's Story by Stephen King (because I've never been able to resist his work for long)
  4. Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore (yes, lightweight, but I think I'll need it by the time I get here, and hearing Mystical laughing out loud at another of his books just makes me want to dive into something totally irreverent and funny just in time for the darkening days of November)
You don't have to read four books to join in the fun. There are three different reading challenges involved. I know there are many of you out there who read far more than four in this time frame. Time was when four was a cakewalk in a couple of weeks for me. I just read two in a few days. But I don't always have hours to kill at night. Sometimes I actually sleep.

Sign up! There are even prizes and giveaways involved... play along, why don't you? Expand your reading horizons...

7 comments:

Elle said...

I finished up Lisey's Story a few weeks ago. I'm like you...can't resist Stephen King!

I had to laugh when I read "busy season over at the truffle factory"...it immediately brought that I Love Lucy episode to mind. :)

KinnicChick said...

ROFL, Elle. Yes! And that's exactly how it is! Must find some of those great chef's hats for us to wear and that will complete the picture. ; )

Mystical said...

Um ... I haven't seen any mention of your WRITING challenge. You know, to write ONE WHOLE HOUR sometime before Friday morning? REMEMBER?

mystical said...

Oh - and C. Moore's "Lamb" was really good (and funny) too. Except you go in to it kind of knowing the ending, and it ISN'T funny.

HalfBrainBoy said...

Amazon is shipping you books 1, 3 and 4. They shipped last night. Supposed to arrive today.
Along with some Mystery Science Theater 3000. Hey, maybe I need a MST3K challenge!

kim said...

I am a lover of King!
But i was disappointed with Lisey's Story.....I did however chose The Stand for one of my Peril choices....it is my fave SK book...

Bring on Sept. 1st. GOtta love an excuse to read!

Debi said...

I've heard such mixed things about Lisey's Story, but haven't read it yet myself. Hope you enjoy it! Looks like you've got a good list there!