8.14.2007

Here they come again...

Well the headache from doom seems to be improving tonight. At least this one has NOT included nausea so far (yes, I am knocking on wood) although I went through a time period this morning when I really thought that was on its way (and I put my cell phone on the other side of the room... so now you know. I've heard of cell phones surviving trips through the washing machine, right Anonybro? I've heard of them surviving the toilet, although I can't remember who told me that story... And I've been the proud owner of a dinosaur phone which survived the ride around the field mowing the grass on the mower deck and survived the tale and lived another couple years beyond that! But my last wimp of a phone could not survive the headache of doom. So I'll keep the replacement far away.)

So yesterday morning after I dropped HalfBrainBoy at work and was on my way back I stopped at yet another furniture store to check out sofas. In the interest of science, we here at 500miles2nowhere are now conducting a small poll... If you have purchased a piece of furniture in the past several years, how long did it take you to select and buy the item? Was it an impulse thing or was it something that you took a while to choose and carry out?

Because this sofa thing is taking us a while. Actually, in terms of HBB and I, it's taking us forever because we are the definition of impulse buyers. But this is different. The living room is the first thing you come to when you walk in the front door. It's right there. And we have purchased some duds when it comes to living room furniture. I don't think either of us feels we have done a great job on sofas over the years, with the exception of his bachelor pad. And the stuff he has over there just doesn't feel quite right for this house.

But the sales people at the place we most frequently go? I think they are starting to find us just a little bit freaky...

9 comments:

Dana said...

Hi! I found your blog randomly, through our mutual interests. I thought you might be interested in checking out my blog. It discusses health and fitness for women!

Please check it out!- http://asizableapple.blogspot.com

Cursing Mama said...

You don't want to know about my last furniture buy. Trust me.
What I will reveal is that I typically know exactly what I want, am unable to describe it, and will look until I get the correct "feel" of something. Sometimes I find the piece fast - sometimes I look for years. (oops - guess that gives away the last furniture buy....still looking).

mystical said...

Here's what I do, girlfriend ...
1. Look at sofas in about 4 different places, usually all in the same day. Make notes when I see something I like.
2. Go back and look at favorite(s).
3. Pick one.
4. Live with it.
Remember, there are slipcovers and there are garage sales. Perhaps there are even needy daughters.

HalfBrainBoy said...

How long, do you suppose, before the sales people put some restraining order on us to keep us out of their store. Or, at least keep us from chasing them down in the parking lot when they are trying to leave work early. :) (You may think we're kidding.)
I think we've learned from our dud furniture selections. That was just practice for finding something great this time. Sure. Really. For sure. Um. Maybe.

Shellynoir said...

LLBean has super light sectional couches, for people who move a lot. I'm assuming you have to tie the legs together so pets don't knock them over during "crazy time".

Here are some other extremely attractive couches you can build on your own:

http://cybernetnews.com/2007/08/17/cybernotes-crazy-mouse-pad-couch/

please don't kill me

crazy couch said...

Here's that link again

KinnicChick said...

Shelly - ROFL! I kind of like the mousepad couch... but even better??? I have begun a collection of old computers, putting that together with the ones various members of my family have, that one just a little further down the page might not be such a bad idea... Not highly paded, but toss a few mousepads on it for cushioning, and you've got yourself an idea there!

Shellynoir said...

Those fedex padded envelopes are really good for padding out homemade couches...I think. They deliver them to your house for free if you say you need them for business.

KinnicChick said...

*snort* Well, I'D say it's business if we're on the damn computer ALL OF THE TIME!!! heh.

you rock.