7.18.2007

Furniture shopping...

So I was at it all afternoon. HOURS of wandering from store to store and when I got to the old faithful location where we picked out all of the stuff that fills Keith's bachelor pad, wandering for hours THERE. In between that location and all of the rest, I spent about an hour at Borders poring through decorating books and mags looking at the latest trends in loft designs and just color mixing and so on so that I could get a feel for that once again. Even though I've felt comfortable for the most part in what I've managed to hobble together when I've set out to do our homes, I have never felt particularly confident in my abilities.

So when I got back to old faithful I took some photos of things I liked. I'm going to link some things here, and just put photos here of things. I know what HBB and I will be comfortable with and what I really like the most. Tell me what YOU think. Just for grins. Here is what I can tell you about our lifestyle... We like comfort over all. We aren't into fussy and frilly. We like the urban and loft and contemporary styles. And in the future? We are keeping our options open in the pet department. We MAY have another small dog. Not right away for sure because we want to take a few trips in the upcoming months and don't want to have to worry about that. But easy care is important.

So here is what I found interesting. The town home is open and on the smaller size...

This grouping, while not shown in its entirety, is interesting. The photo you see in the link is only the sofa and it looks VERY purple. I'll also include my photo... Now the thing about the color could be lighting entirely... Because the sales person told me that the loveseat, which looks taupe in my photo, is called military. She said when you see it in the window in natural light, it is definitely an army green color. So maybe the sofa really is a deep purple in natural light. A couple of the things I like about the set is COLOR!!! I also like that the pieces have solid backs as opposed to the


Then there is of course, the LaVida collection. Something entirely different, but when it comes to comfort there is no comparison. We have to consider this at least. Keith has a few pieces at his place. His is white. We wouldn't do white here. I would do a chocolate brown. Rich, and warm and yeah. It is like sinking into heaven. You can't help but nap in the stuff. It is huge, though. I'm not sure any of the pieces would fit. I'm really rethinking this... I'm not even going to link it, in fact... think think.

I have a thing for big chunky furniture right now. Does big and chunky fit in a downsized loft? I hope so. If you haven't seen THIS photo from Keith's bachelor pad (don't feel bad, it's just because you aren't my friend on facebook yet - make me your friend! or get thee on facebook and we'll hook up! *coughcursingmamacough*) I did add the bp photos to flickr last night for those of you not on fb so you could see what I'm talking about here... heh!

Anywho... While at the store, I looked for pieces that matched his stuff and/or was the same as his stuff that I liked most so that if/when we combine those pieces because his second place is no longer needed or whatever, it will all come together some day. And I did find some things. Like these...
Which of course match this piece of his... I also found some really awesome book shelves in the same style that I completely fell in love with and why I didn't buy them on the spot? I do not know. *kicks self* Because I would use them in just about any room in the house. Book shelves are needed for the two of us. We have books. Many books. And we never have enough room for them. Never. We have never in all of the time we have been together had enough space to put our books out. So yeah. Going back for those shelves. As many of them as I can find.

As for dining rooms? I'm most drawn to this particular style. It is a counter height table. And it is big. Why counter height? Well, not something I initially planned, actually. But across the room if you look at our house pictures, is our kitchen with island and in that island is our counter sink and so on and the breakfast bar which is raised to bar height. So the table over in the dining area? Maybe at that height for a flow thing... Just a thought. And I like the look of this one a lot.

I know. There is a lot of different stuff thrown together here. So take your time. Look around. Think.

I really went out today thinking - dark, black, urban, loft... That was what I had in mind for the wood. If not black then certainly very dark. Chunky or good heft. For the upholstered pieces I didn't have a clear picture. But certainly something with color or at the very least, simple with the ability to add color to it.

Help me out here... I'd love some input. What do you think?

1 comment:

Cursing Mama said...

I mentioned your furniture thing to Mr. M this am and he gave me the look that said "no more furniture shopping for you". Although I'm not trained in the decorator arts I do have a gift for redecorating in my head all the time. I am a bit of a pain to be married too.

Anyway - taking all of the things you said in the post into consideration I would think that some (4) nice very comfortable chairs in front of the fireplace(like taupe suede or dark leather - although leather & dogs can be bad) around a big funky round coffee table which is on top of a fantastically wildly colored rug ......

Okay - thats enough thoughts for now, or I'll start redecorating my house again.....