7.28.2007

Blogathon 11:30 - Post #8

Blogathon 2007!
11:30 am
Post #8
Location: Dunn Bros Hudson (aka The Mighty Dunn)
Author: Keith (aka: HalfBrainBoy)


THANK YOU JENORAMA AND TRUDI for your sponsorships!

Hey, Trudi, thanks for the blog topic: “your most embarrassing moment.” It took me a minute because I think I’ve tried to forget this story. This embarrassing moment even earned me a nickname on my last work project.

Every day, I take yogurt smoothies to work to drink at my desk. It’s a decent snack to get me through my day.

A couple of years ago, I was on a new project, just establishing myself. I was working with a prestigious client with other consultants established in their fields. I felt good about making it to this point in my career.

It was the first week, in middle of an afternoon. I had been walking from cube to cube talking to people. After a few cubes, I came to my project manager’s office. He is known for a no-bull approach and calls things as they are. I was standing in his doorway, trying to establish my reputation with this guy.

As I started to leave, he pointed to my lap area. He asked, “Hey, buddy, what’s THAT!?!?!?” I looked down at my black dress pants. I was mortified. I found a big splotch of vanilla yogurt smoothie. It was enough that it had run in streams part of the way down my pants leg. A couple of my co-workers heard my boss’ ribbing. They came over and joined in. I begged one of them to walk in front of me to the door so I could leave work without being seen. Nobody agreed. And, I realized then, it didn’t matter. I had been walking from cube to cube that afternoon standing in doorways talking to all sorts of other people who hadn’t said a thing. There was no way they hadn’t noticed. We’re talking almost a cup of yogurt (so it seemed). I wanted to shrink into the floor. From that point on, I was known as “Yoplait”.

Eventually, I got a good laugh out of it, too. In the end, it turned out to be a good way to let down my guard and get to know my coworkers better. Also, I learned to buy Teflon-coated pants. And eat yogurt from cups.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

That is mortifying! But thank you for sharing it with us, Keith! You are a brave man!

KathyK said...

Hi, Keith! Thanks for sharing your embarrassing moment - it's a classic. I love how you can look back and see the positive in the situation, now, too.

Trudi said...

Ha ha ha ha ha. That's awesome Keith. I'm so glad you blogged it. I'd pledge more for more humiliating stories from you two.

(nice incentive, eh?)