5.16.2007

Why Relay?

The question is being asked Why are you involved with Relay For Life? So I thought this would be a good time to answer that question. It isn't an easy answer, however.

  • I first got involved with Relay For Life back in 2002. I read about it in my local paper. It caught my eye because my husband, Keith was still recovering from a brain tumor that had been surgically removed the year before at Mayo in Rochester, or technically, at St. Mary's hospital there. We joined the local Hospital Relay team and thought it was a pretty fun time, as well as a very moving and inspirational experience for the survivors during the luminaria ceremony after dark. The next year we created our own family and friends team, Keith's Brain Trust, which we've continued on with every year.
  • The team has continued on, but that has been far from my only reason to be involved with Relay. I'm also involved because after being a part of it that second year once we created our own team, I felt it was important that because we were taking part and utilizing what was put in place for every team, someone from the team should get involved in helping to organize and coordinate the event itself. So the next year, I became a committee member, vowing to myself that I would not leave the committee unless I also found two people to replace me.
  • Another reason I continue are the incredible people that I have met since I got involved. Every year when the event comes along and you go to that track and begin to walk around it with other survivors, caregivers, family and friends of those who have walked the cancer walk, you are there walking with your own kin. You may learn names, or you may not. All the same, you know these people. They are your people. At least for that one night every year.
  • I've also met incredible people through being on the committee. Some of my fellow committee members have been there since the Relay came to our town. Some of them brought the Relay to our town. You don't stay on a committee like Relay from the beginning because you want to be patted on the back for being such a shiny happy person. No, you do it because you have an axe to grind with cancer. You have a goal to see the end of the disease and you want to see it through to that end. These are some awesome people who as they see the committee size dwindling, just pick up more of the tasks and don't b1tch about it. Little introverted me was pretty intimidated walking into this group of strong personalities. But they are simply there for the same reason I am. So I've found that we can work together pretty well. Even when they know I'd rather be hiding under a rock sometimes.
  • But the main reasons I'm involved with Relay? Are contained in the inspiration list I've been working on since I started blogging at 500miles2nowhere. There have been a few problems at Blogger over the years and as a result I know that my list has lost a couple of names once in a while as I don't back up as often as I should. But this is pretty complete. As close as I can get.
  • My Inspirations:
    • Allen
    • Al D
    • Amy (my cousin)
    • Aunt Evie
    • Ardele
    • Barb Pendergrass
    • Bea N
    • Bernadine (Blogger Linda Dasherwood’s Mommy)
    • Bernie O (my wonderful friend and hygienist Barb’s husband)
    • Betsy 2
    • Betsy
    • Betty
    • Bobby Jean
    • Brian P from River Falls – A brain tumor Warrior
    • Bryan
    • Butch (my birthday twin from River Falls and Farkeling buddy)
    • Caryl
    • Cassie
    • Cathy M
    • Charlie
    • Chris Silver
    • Chris T
    • Cissie
    • Claire
    • Connor Dykes (baby brain tumor warrior)
    • Daisy
    • Dalene Entenmann (fellow blogger)
    • Dana (fellow blogger at think_pink.typepad.com)
    • Dawn D from River Falls
    • Dave
    • David M. Bailey (our brain tumor hero – now nearly 11 years survivor)
    • Deb (fellow blogger debutaunt.blogger.com)
    • Diane V
    • Donna R
    • Duke H (fellow brain tumor warrior)
    • Elaine B
    • Elsie M
    • Noelle H
    • Evy N (fellow Committee member)
    • Ruth (fellow Committee member)
    • Mike (former Committee member)
    • Gail M
    • Grant T (fellow brain tumor warrior)
    • Holly
    • Ian
    • Irene C
    • Jack
    • Jackie
    • Jan
    • Jerry (fellow Blogger Dana’s Dad)
    • Jim B (fellow Blogger Heather’s uncle)
    • Joe (fellow brain tumor warrior)
    • Joel L (childhood neighbor)
    • John D
    • Kathleen
    • Katie’s mother in law (my blog buddy Katie)
    • Katie R
    • Keith (fellow brain tumor warrior)
    • Keith Warner
    • Lance (yup. I do it for Lance Armstrong, too. He inspires me a lot.)
    • LaVetta (former coworker)
    • Lenny
    • Linda E
    • Lisa
    • Lisa (former neighbor and fellow brain tumor warrior)
    • Lois
    • Blogger Mark’s grandpa
    • Maria (blogger Silverfox-whispers.com)
    • Marijean (committee member’s mom)
    • Marn (blogger who got me started on 500 miles in the first place!)
    • Mary M
    • Mary Jane
    • Maudie
    • Michael
    • Michael Billet
    • Mike (fellow brain tumor warrior)
    • Mike 2 (another fellow brain tumor warrior)
    • Minerva (blogger at womanlyparts.blogspot.com)
    • Moe (blogger Kristen’s sorority sister)
    • Nancy Lindstrom
    • Noel
    • Norah O
    • Pam H
    • Patti Belfiori (teacher from Kel’s old school)
    • Patti B’s sister
    • Patty S
    • Paula
    • Phil
    • Phil C
    • Priscilla
    • Randy M
    • Randy W (fellow brain tumor warrior
    • Ruth
    • Ryan
    • Sahara Aldridge
    • Scott
    • Shawna
    • Stacey R
    • Steve
    • Sue (fellow blogger Heather’s Aunt)
    • Todd
    • Todd L
    • Tracey
    • Tracey K (fellow brain tumor warrior)
    • Tricia
    • VJ’s mom
    • Vernon (fellow brain tumor warrior)
    • Vicki

    • Uncle Bill
    • Uncle Roy
    • Grandma C
    • Grandpa B
    • Dale Jawarski
    • Marv S
    • Monica Jensen
    • Greg Roy (BTW)
    • Anthony (BTW)
    • Steve Emerson (fellow brain tumor warrior)
    • Andre
    • Nada
    • Annie’s grandpa Carl
    • Gerry C
    • Sarah
    • Tim G (BTW)
    • Vonnie H
    • Ned Neddersen
    • Carl Dietz
    • Virginia Dietz
    • Bob Dietz
    • Lloyd K
    • Faith Wilson
    • Delores S
    • Kathy (BTW)
    • Minnie’s Sis (BTW)
    • Cecilia Ledevehat
    • Mylette Simone
    • Dana Perry
    • Elaine
    • Karen
    • Ruth O
    • Don B
    • Ed S
    • Gwen H
    • Bill H
    • Robert C
    • Olga
    • Dorothy
    • Matt K
    • Sam C
    • Ed S
    • John D
    • Paul C
    • Eric P
    • Olivia S
    • Delores L
    • Hilary
    • Joy
    • Marlene Z
    • Paul Neises
    • Ivan Noble
    • Pat K
    • Leona
    • Vince
    • Wayne S
    • Danny K
    • Scott P
    • Judy Kay
    • Craig W
    • Ena Mae Robb
    • Sunny
    • Peter Jennings
    • David
    • Lori
    • Richard Lee Karpf
    • Dori
    • Ljubo
    • Marge
    • MaryEllen S
    • John P
    • Dana Reeve
    • Eric Shaffer
    • Jim L
    • Anne Milbauer Jo
    • Carol M
    • Jessica (blogger at Cancerbaby.typepad.com)
    • Sydnor
    • Aunt Dot
    • Uncle By
    • Uncle Ken
    • Roger Bleeker
    • Courtney
    • Miles
    • Peter Huseboe
    • Sherry
    • Bud Macbride
    • Kimberly Myers-Gordon
    • Tom McConaughey
    • baseball mom's grandma






3 comments:

Kathy Howe said...

Keri - you are an AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING woman! Keep up all the good hard work! People like you DO make a difference!

Keri said...

Thanks, Kathy. I appreciate it. Not a bad first afternoon. I think we did better than we would have if we marked things! Smooches...

david santos said...

Please, it puts fhoto of Madeleine in your Bloggue

Missing Madeleine!
Madeleine, MeCann was abduted from Praia da Luz, Portugal on 03/03/07.

If you have any information, please contact Crimestoppers on
0800 555 111

Please Help