12.06.2006

Merry Meme Christmas...

Don't even remember from whom I stole this several days ago but now I see that everybody is doing it. So take your pick...

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Seeing as how I've never even tasted the nog, I guess hot chocolate...


2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? He varies his approach. Historically, when I was just a tot, he set them under the tree and around the room where the tree sat for my brothers and I to gaze in awestruck wonderment upon... but then my daughter came along and other people's traditions entered into the mix and that jolly old red suited fat guy started wrapping everything! Even the stuff he stuffed in the stockings! What a pain in the a$$.


3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White. But I'm not allowed to decorate anything outside my house. So that would be white lights on just the tree this year, thankyouverymuch. I'm simply a renter.


4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope. Kisses? Yuck. That's just inviting all sorts of wintery germ-infestations of the nastiest kind. Go wash your lips and use the listerine while you're in there, will you please? There are disposable tongue-scrapers in the second drawer down...


5. When do you put your decorations up? Just did. Well, just got the tree up and spent the entire day doing it. Had some friends here to help Kel and I do it.


6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Where Kel and I are concerned there really is no such thing as dessert. This is a main course for us several times a week. So... hmmm. Since my mom is of Italian origins ;) we frequently throw some great Italian food into our holiday and other celebratory meal occasions. So I'm going to say that my favorite holiday dish is manicotti because it's been a while since I've had it and maybe this will trigger a festive making of it for Christmas this year! :)


7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Lying on my back under the tree looking up into the lights singing along with the "Sing Along With Mitch" Miller record Christmas Carols with my brothers.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? No clue. I would guess my brothers tormented me with the real story. (That's right, tormented, anonybro ... I was such an abused child... ;) ) Or I discovered it following one of them around as he searched the house looking for all of the hidden Christmas gifts when the parents were away.


9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? At least one.


10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? First it is wrapped top down with white lights and not just on the ends of the branches, the lights are wrapped on the individual branches starting at the trunk and winding out to give the tree 'depth' just like Martha taught me many years ago... ;) then we put on all our ornaments that we've been collecting through the years (we buy a yearly ornament - at least one - that has special meaning from travels or something we've been doing) and homemade ones that Kel created when she was young, including a paper star with glitter and glue at the top. After that it is draped with clear pearl garland strands and this year I also added some foil star garland. This week I'll pick up some candy canes and we'll put those on too. That will finish it off I think. I learned a new term this holiday season from C that may stick with me forever (well, at least another couple of weeks), "Man-proof tree." :)


11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love to look at it, hate to drive in it or the fact that it represents that "B" word - Big-a$$ cold.


12. Can you ice skate? Once every 15 years or so. I'm good now for the next ten at least.


13. Do you remember your favorite gift? yep, because of how shocking it was. The surprise is always the best part of any gift.


14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? survival skills this year.


15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? This year it just might be rocky road truffles. Barring that, my dad's rosettes.


16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Drinking beer with the relies. Um. We don't really have traditions in our family. Oh wait. That was left from whoever I copied this from. HA! But isn't it lovely? KIDDING! Definitely watching It's a Wonderful Life with favorite people or whoever I can convince to watch it with me.


17. What tops your tree? White paper start with gold glitter glued on. Keli made it many years ago at Margie's house (her daycare pre-kindergarten).


18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Giving. By far. It's the best part of the holiday.


19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? O Holy Night. There are many versions that I like, I haven't found my definitive favorite yet. That one is tied with This Christmas because of the years we went to see Peabo Bryson's Colors of Christmas show at The Ordway. What fun!!!



In my head: This Christmas by James Ingram

No comments: