11.15.2006

Team Hoyt

Dick and Rick Hoyt are a father-and-son team from Massachusetts who together compete just about continuously in marathon races. And if they're not in a marathon they are in a triathlon - that daunting, almost superhuman, combination of 26.2 miles of running, 112 miles of bicycling, and 2.4 miles of swimming. Together they have climbed mountains, and once trekked 3,735 miles across America.

It's a remarkable record of exertion - all the more so when you consider that Rick can't walk or talk.


As any regular reader knows, I'm a blogger who's focus is on fighting cancer and raising the funds to help in that fight. Well tonight I just want to share this beautiful non cancer-related story with you because it inspires me. And it reminds me more than a little bit of another Rick that my family lost not so long ago.

You'll notice when you play this video that Dick mentions he is in the best shape of his life at age 59 because of his son. Well, Dick just ran this latest Boston Marathon at age 65, I believe. So the video isn't the most recent you will even find online. But it is the best one I've found so far. Because it has Dick explaining things in his own words. I'd rather hear that than some of the inspirational music that people have put to it.

Also, during one of their recent events in the past couple of years, Dick had a heart attack and they say had he not been in such great shape he may not have survived it. And he has most likely added a good fifteen years to his life because of all the exercise.

I have spent the past 90 minutes trying to get Google to post the video to my blog to no avail. I'm afraid you'll have to hit the link and go elsewhere to play it. But grab your box of tissues first. (You too, dad... Seriously.)

Enjoy. Be inspired. I sure have been. Welcome to the world of Team Hoyt. Welcome to Rick's world. What an amazing couple of men.

Team Hoyt Video

No comments: