7.25.2006

For Sydnor... and Uncle By... *sigh*

The American Cancer Society Relay For Life represents the hope that those lost to cancer will never be forgotten, that those who face cancer will be supported, and that one day cancer will be eliminated.

I hate these posts. The days when I have to move a name from the inspirations list to the memory list. I'm a little behind on this one. My blogroll has gotten so long (another reason to be blue when I look at how much of that list is up in the cancer blogs portion of the blogroll) that I'm not staying on top of my reading these days and hadn't caught the news when Busymom lost her mother last week.

I looked back through my blog and saw that I've been running for Sydnor since back in December of 2003. She was diagnosed in June of that year with lung cancer if I have all of my history correct. I got to run for her several times during the course of her treatment as Busymom kept me up to date on how she was doing. And it sounds like she may have kept track of how I was doing with my running, as well. Busymom says Sydnor kept the address of my website on her bulletin board all this time. *sigh*

*update* and today there are two... My Uncle Bye has lost his battle, as well. He was your typical self-sufficient farmer. Didn't much cotton to doctors or going to see them. I think he put up with the symptoms of his prostate cancer for a very long time before his kids knew it was something serious. He fought that battle and then had to fight emphysema and asthma and pneumonia, learning how to deal with the anxiety caused by not being able to breathe. His last year was one fraught with challenges. No more pain and fear and anxiety for him. But his family will miss him and all his stories.

We've got bad weather moving in. I want to turn off the computer for a while. Keep Saturday's blogathon in mind, please. Thanks so much for all of the great ideas! Keep 'em coming. I'm certain there aren't 48 there yet. But certainly I'm well on my way... Ken, I knew you'd come through for me! You ROCK! :)

And Kimby, thank you for your donation! Smooches!


Today's inspiration: Uncle By and Sydnor
Today's miles: 5.3
Total so far: 475.5
Still to go for goal: 24.5

In my head: O. Lover by Jason Mraz (Mr. A to Z heh)

Relay For Life... It's about being a community that takes up the fight...

No comments: