5.23.2006

Jeepers, Creepers...

Kel needed to upgrade her assisted vision-wear pretty badly ;) so on Sunday we headed over to the local eyeglasses place. She'd already been there once this spring and picked out a pair of funky looking glasses that she liked. She thought she looked as if she belonged in a David Bowie music video when she had them on and I felt like they would be pretty appropriate eye-wear for an art student. When we walked in the door on Sunday afternoon to have a look around, she had pretty much decided that those funky white ones would be the pair for her. We stood there in the middle of the store for a moment to get our bearings and one of the sales associates immediately swooped down upon us... "Can I help you find something today?"

M (is for me or Mom, whichever you'd prefer...): No, we're just going to look around for now. My daughter is looking for a pair of new glasses.
SA: Okay, well, the junior frames are over here. (sweeping her arm across a small display rack) Ladies frames are here (again, sweeping) and over there (motioning across the room where Kel had found the Bowie-video frames) are the unisex frames and those are definitely the more unusual and quirky frames.

So we wandered around for a little while and she tried various frames on again and as she did so did I because I thought that I might pick up a new pair as it's been several years since I updated my own assisted vision-wear... my vision hasn't changed that much, but I could use a new pair for night driving all the same. As she tried them, she kept her eyes open for the Bowie frames.

K (is for Keli): Mom. They aren't here anymore. I just tried them a few weeks ago and now they are gone.
M: That isn't possible. Why would they be gone? Should I ask somebody? (In the meantime, we'd wandered back and forth across the place a couple of times and checked the frames on both sides a couple of times... and the rather annoying very helpful Sales Associate had reminded us at least twice that the unusual quirky frames were on that side of the store *sweep*...)
K: No you shouldn't ask. She'll be hovering and hanging on us F O R E V E R if you ask her a question. They just aren't here. What do you think of these? She showed me a couple of other pairs. Both were excellent and also frames which were suitable for art students and really cool musical rock video background people. ;) She asked me to choose the ones I liked best. I did. She, of course, bought the other pair. :-/ This is a common occurence and one that no longer bothers me in the least.

When we walked out of the store, Kel looked at me and said, I like how as soon as we walked in the place they pegged me for "Odd girl, dresses weird, send her to the 'unusual quirky frames section' over and over again. Could you believe that?"

I had actually fallen in love with a pair for me, which, when I put them on Kel's first reaction was, "Scary!" I later learned that they grew on her and she liked them. Good thing. I went back on Monday and ordered them for myself. Photos of us both to follow. Someday. When we are feeling photogenic.

They were ready for pickup today so we went in and got them after school. This was rather humorous. We became the main attraction. There were half a dozen or so customers in the place ahead of us but everything stopped when they realized who we were. The SA's got kind of excited and ran to get our glasses. They got us cases to put our contacts in and saline. They fitted us and pulled all of the other associates and technicians to "have a look at the mother/daughter pair that bought the funky glasses!" and everyone gathered 'round to ooh and aah. This time when we walked out Keli said, "Ha! Funny how we were the main event in there! I thought she just found me odd on Sunday, but now I'm thinking she was just excited by the prospect of having someone in the store who might actually buy something fun and quirky! That was kinda cool..."

Our little town is so hum drum sometimes. They need Kel and me around to shake things up! ;)





Today's inspiration: Tom McC
Today's miles: 5
Total so far: 251.3
Still to go for goal: 248.67


In my head: Pure Imagination from the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Movie as sung by Gene Wilder



If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world?
There's nothing
To it

No comments: