5.31.2006

For Jerry...

The American Cancer Society Relay For Life represents the hope that those lost to cancer will never be forgotten, that those who face cancer will be supported, and that one day cancer will be eliminated.


I found the disk that had photos from my old computer on it today. (HURRAY!) This is a good thing as I have photo boards and scrapbooks and such to do. I'm happy. Amazing the things that pop up when you are moving boxes around. Anyway, I transfered the pictures to the newer computer today so I'd have them and can pass the disk on. It also means I can eventually upload a few of them to flickr and post a couple here, too. :) More happiness.

Another thing accomplished today was the cutting of the cardboard. This might make my papa happy to know. Now I can actually get it out on the curb for garbage day.

It is quite a stack.

This evening when I had finished these and several other accomplishments, I decided it was a beautiful night for a walk. So I set my location goal, emailed a friend to let her know I was headed toward her house in case she was home and wanted to set out walking towards me, and I just took off. I knew that there was a good chance she would never know about the email, and a good chance she wasn't there, but I didn't want to just call her and know that for sure because then I might not go at all. Especially since when I wrote the part of the email that told her what route I was taking, I realized what a long walk it was going to be.

I strapped on the headphones and took off. It was truly a beautiful evening. The humidity is down and the clouds had cleared off so it was bright and there was a crisp clear air that was so refreshing and sweet. It was one of those dangerous walks where every other song inspired me more toward dancing or skipping than walking. I had a ridiculous grin on my face and people were probably afraid of me for the most part. I think I had them guessing what in the world was wrong with the crazy lady walking down the street.

I may just have to post a hand drawn map later showing the route. A map that would make Billy proud. I took one way going out to their place (the route I told her I would take of course) and a different one - one which didn't take my life in my hands quite so seriously - on the way back.

Once again, the iPod died on the trip. Before I even go to their place it froze on me entirely to the point of being unable to reset it. That meant no music for the remainder of the trip back. DID YOU HEAR ME??? NO MUSIC!!!

I have yet to do the required research to determine why. It has only just now reset itself so that I can actually charge it up and start again. :( My poor baby! Somewhere around one of the houses or storage, there is an iPod shuffle just waiting to be loaded and for me to use for running. WHERE IS IT?!!!

At any rate, I did make it back home and got some decent mileage in.


Today's inspiration: Dana's dad, Jerry (pay a visit and please send prayers!
Today's miles: 7.35
Total so far: 282.05
Still to go for goal: 217.95

Tomorrow? I look forward to some coffee and more time spent prepping for graduation... Keli only had three days of school left! There will be more time spent on photos. More time spent on Relays. Bills paid. Friends visited. And hopefully and iPod fixed and maybe another found. And yes, mileage updated. I should surely make 300 miles before the Relay. And then some.

Jeff (more than a million latte man) put an interesting idea in my head about the Relay. I won't be doing it this year, but I think next year? A definite possibility. A whole new slant on my fundraising. Totally cool. *nods head contemplatively...* May have to kick this idea around some more and see how it can be utilized to make the most money possible for the ACS. Because that, my friends, is what it's all about.

Speaking of which... I only have a couple of weeks left until the Relay. Have you donated? Are you planning on it? Will you do it? Can you? I have set a really agressive goal. I realize that everyone has been squeezed from every possible side over the past many months for so very many worthy causes that all need the funding. You can't give to every cause that asks you. I'm not asking you to give a lot. If you can give $5 It would kick blogging butt. I get about 55 hits from different locations every day. If every one of you gave $10 that's $550 to the ACS. That would give my goal a much-needed shot in the arm. All you have to do is Click on that Relay For Life logo at the top of my blog and it will take you right to my page. You simply fill in the dollar amount in the donation box and hit enter and it will take you where you need to go for the rest. Or, if you don't want to donate online, you can print off a donor form and write a check or send a money order. No problem.

Who doesn't know someone who has fought the cancer battle? I know far too many. It breaks my heart every day. If I didn't get up and do something about it, if I didn't get on the road and keep running or walking, I'd curl up under the covers and just cry every day. I could do that so easily. I'd much rather be a part of finding and funding the cure. Join me. And if you are in the area June 16-17, join me at EP Rock School and take a walk with me.


In my head: Keep on Walking by David M. Bailey







Relay For Life... It's about being a community that takes up the fight...

No comments: