4.17.2006

For Mike G... Monday night - Post initial team meeting...

Team Brain Trust met up for the first time in the 2006 Relay Season this evening. We were a few people short as there were some working, one just returning from a family trip for Easter break, some not feeling well enough to attend and so on. It was a pretty decent turn-out, however. We had a few laughs, voted on a campsite (same general area as the last couple of years so we can still have a fire), passed around for signing a thank you card for our new team sponsors (thank you, Investment Centers of America!!! Bryan, Jim, Randy and Chris - you guys rock!), and handed out Truhler's Team orange awareness wrist bands to everyone. These are being sold as a fund-raiser for the 9-year old I mentioned a couple of days ago with the inoperable brain tumor. I also got the addy of his caring bridge site so everyone can visit him online and perhaps leave him a joke or smile in the guest book and maybe help out with his medical expenses (his folks have to pay 20% of everything with their 80/20 policy). If you are interested in the latter and don't find an addy at the site, email me and I can hook you up. Smooches. If you live in our area, there are some fundraisers going on over the next couple of weeks. Contact me if you want to know more about them.

I forgot completely to let the team know about the honorary chairs that were chosen at the last meeting. One of them is little Katie who is now in remission. Visit her site. Say hello on her guest book. Give her a hug. The other is the mom of a 2005 committee member that worked on registration with me last year. Her mom is currently cancer-free, as well.

There is a lot happening within the dynamics of the team this year. Moves and house sales, graduations and weddings and who knows what all? It's going to be difficult to stay focused and keep everything moving forward toward June 16th and meet our very agressive goal. But I know that if you all pitch in, we can do it. Because every one of you wants to stop this thing. You all know people and love people who have been impacted by cancer. I know that with enough time, the researchers are going to find the cure. They've come so far already.

I did have a slight bit of frustration today with my brand new dsl modem and such. It isn't working yet. I'm still dialing in because I haven't gotten the other stuff moving along at the speed of light. No clue what the problem is. I guess I'll have to call the provider tomorrow and ask them what I'm doing wrong. *sigh* I wanted to be posting with lightening speed by now. No such luck.

Today's brief bit of movement toward the coffee (the coffee!!!) was for Mike G. The latest Brain Tumor Warrior in our neck of the woods. Or rather, the latest I've heard about. Another brain stem tumor that I hear is inoperable. Prayers go out to this wonderfully kind man that I remember best from my high school days when he was always around with the coffee pot on Sunday mornings at the local eatery.

Today's inspiration: Mike who always had a coffee pot in his hand as he wandered the local eatery on Sunday mornings with a smile on his face and a story to tell.
Today's miles: 3.5
Total so far: 172.5
Still to go for goal: 327.5

And now it is off to bed for me. I have a date with a shovel in the morning. G'night all.

No comments: