3.15.2005

For Lisa (a new one!), WWKW, Books...

The American Cancer Society Relay For Life represents the hope that those lost to cancer will never be forgotten, that those who face cancer will be supported, and that one day cancer will be eliminated.



Whoa. Did I actually stump you with WWKW yesterday? Or is it just that nobody has visited? I haven't actually gone out to the stats to explore that possibility! :)

For Spookalot (and any other newbies or visitors to 500 Miles or non-regular readers)... WWKW is a game I came up with last winter while running many tedious hours on the treadmill. It stands for "What Was Keri Watching?" and most often involves photo hints of me running with the movie projected on the wall and people guessing what it is that's being projected. Lately, the basement has been too sunny to get a decent photo when I'm running, so I've left other types of clues on those days.

Running today for neighbor Lisa. Just learned yesterday that they found a malignant melanoma and she has had one surgery to remove it but will have to have another because they didn't get it all. You could have knocked me over with a feather when she told me. It wasn't something I was expecting to hear. And my cynical 17-year-old said to me, "Why does this continue to surprise you? Face it, cancer is a part of our world and you're going to keep hearing about it impacting the lives of more and more people you know." I guess that attitude of my child made me pretty darned angry, too. If I wanted to get that cynical, I wouldn't be out here busting my tail for cancer research. I'd just toss in the towel and give it all up.

So Lisa, you aren't a reader... heck, I don't even know if you have a computer... nor are any of my other neighbors readers that I know of, but I'm holding you in my thoughts and prayers this week as they do more surgery to remove your melanoma and whatever else you have to go through in the coming months to get you healthy. You did many months (years) in service to your country between Afghanistan and Iraq and don't deserve to go through all of this just as you are rolling back home to settle down with your husband who also just came off active duty yesterday and has recently returned from his own tours. I wish you the very best.

I'll be back to post my miles. Perhaps not until tonight, though. I have a dentist appointment to replace my very last amalgam filling. The last time this was done my previous dentist cracked the tooth and it all ended in a root canal. Let's hope this one goes better. :-/

Oh, and I finished reading Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons last night and seeing as how I just bought it Sunday night, I guess I really liked it! I enjoy her books especially because the locations are so familiar. Light fare, but I need that once in a while. Makes me want to have my own AHEB bookclub. This one will go in my permanent collection. But I did register six books for BookCrossing yesterday to be released.



Today's miles:
Total so far:
Still to go for goal:


Playing in my head: I'm Not Lisa again!

No comments: