2.03.2005

Musical meme - because Jen tagged me...

A meme from Jen...

1. Song that sounds like happy feels:

Definitely the Charlie Brown music by Vince Guaraldi.


2. Earliest memory:

I assume this is the earliest song/music memory... - well I'd have to second Jen's Sesame Street here. That and an album I had of Disney hits. Especially the Siamese Cat song from Lady and the Tramp (IS that what it was from???)... I also remember a very distinct memory of playing in my backyard on the swingset as this little kid around the same age and singing the music from Hair - (This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius...) I was such a little hippie at heart... And being out camping and the "big kids" playing "Abraham, Martin and John" on the record player and really listening to it. I remember that very distinctly, too.


3. Last CD you bought:

I bought two at the same time - And they are both awesome! Best of David Bowie and The Garden State Soundtrack. There are so many Bowie tracks that I had forgotten about. They brought some great memories back as I listened to it, too.


4. Reminds you of school:

Elementary School:
Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog (Joy to the World) I remember sitting on top of the monkey bars singing this at the top of my lungs one summer as a kid.

Jr. High: Styx.

High School: Anything by Journey because we did so many Raidaire routines to their music...

College: Hmm. I had a dance class in college that I was taking to a) get over Raidaires and b) get through a physical education requirement and it was a mix of modern dance and some ballet stuff and it was the 80's and everyone was wearing leg warmers and tights and that whole Olivia Newton John "Let's Get Physical" getup and we all had us some over the top makeup and hair and you can see it, right? And god we were so serious jumping across that floor and spinning and oh goodness. So the music was all very Flashdance and Footloose and feverish... Yeah, "What a Feeling" and "Holding Out for a Hero".


5. Total music files on your PC:


500 now. Keli is in the process of purging a bunch of stuff and starting over and I haven't done anything yet with my iPod because I'm doing a lot of reading and researching so I don't screw anything up.


6. Song for listening to repeatedly when depressed:

Do people still do this in their forties? Even thirties? Or is this a "once you have kids you don't have time for the luxury" kind of thing? I don't think I've done it since high school, actually. I never really got into it then. I wasn't the sit around depressed kind of person, really. When people tell me about doing this when they were kids and the songs they listened to at the time, I have a bit of difficulty relating.


7. Song that sounds British, but isn't:

There is a song on now that I say sounds like Keane (Who actually are British and I guess I'm only confusing Keane with someone else entirely because there are so many new bands out) but Keli thinks sounds like the Beatles and she's right for at least part of the song, that is actually Jet. So, is Jet British? Looks like they are Australian born! I'll have to check that and get back with you. The name of the song is, "Look What You've Done."


8. Song you love, band you hate:


I honestly couldn't come up with anything here. I guess the closest I could come was (please, no hate mail, Colleen!!!) "Beth" from Kiss.


9. A favorite song from the past that took ages to track down:


10. Bought the album for one good song:


Tears for Fears: Songs From the Big Chair for "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" and ended up LOVING the entire album. Listened to it nonstop during the first three months of my marriage when I was stuck in base housing in the upper peninsula of Michigan.

11. Worst Song to Get Stuck in your Head:


First answer: If I actually think about something long enough to remember the song I hate most to have stuck in my head, I'll have it there for the next week. I am not going to go there.

And then: I went to take a shower. And as I stood there in the shower, doing those showerly things, song after song after song popped into my head and I thought, "Yes! THAT is the worst song to have stuck in my head. No, wait. THAT is the worst song. NO! By far, THAT is the worst song." But just before I finished showering... IT began pounding through my brain, reverberating over... and over... and OVER.... I swear it was written for this purpose only... to Drive.Me.Mad.

Starship's We Built This City... and now, thank you but I will have the damn song stuck in my brain f o r e v a h....


12. Best song to dump a beer on someone's head to, then storm out of the bar?

"I Don't Care Anymore" by Phil Collins


13. Who should do this next?

hmm... I tag: KathyC, Methinks, and a couple of people who have no blogs (I'll e-mail them to see if they'll play along and post their answers), Dana and Kim! and to get some male flesh into it if he is interested, though I know he doesn't like to do these sorts of things often, Ken. (If he wants to. But I'm not going to e-mail him! You've been warned, buddy!)

No comments: