7.20.2004

Mud Pie...

When I was a kid and we had any power shopping to do, my mom used to take me to this mall (can't remember which) and at lunch we headed to a restaurant in the mall that I believe was called the Walrus and the Carpenter. I don't remember anything about my meals at this place, they were your average meal for a kid... But what I always looked forward to and what made the pain of shopping so much more bearable was the dessert. They had a Mississippi Mud Pie that would make a little girl sit through agonizing waits outside the fitting room door for...

Deep dark chocolate cookie crust, a coffee ice cream layer, a rich fudge layer... It was heavenly to this kid...

So the other day I'm in the grocery store picking up the things for the cheese cake I'm going to make - you know, the recipe I found over at Stacey and Bill's
kitchen blog... And while walking past the freezer, I found Starbucks Coffee brand, Mud Pie ice cream. Well, of course I had to buy it. I just had a little dish this afternoon to try it out.

It tastes just like that old pie from the Walrus and the Carpenter restaurant. Like a little slice of childhood in a dish.

No comments: