3.16.2004

I'm so lucky...

I'm so lucky...

I love beautiful music. I am so lucky because I get to hear it live and in person. Not as often as I used to and not as often as I like to, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Kel is an awesome (and I'm not just being a mom here) french horn player. She's been playing since she was in sixth grade. Back then she was homeschooled, but the school district welcomed her into the school band. And since she was home with me all day for the most part, I encouraged the twenty minute practice per day rule. Only I didn't send her off to do it alone, I practiced with her on the keyboard so she'd know how the tones were supposed to sound, because much of playing a horn is in how you hold your mouth as there are only four keys (three back then) to depress and the rest is all done with the way you play. So she had the advantage of having lots of extra practice time because it was a rare day that we quit at twenty minutes, but there is no doubt about it, she has an ear for music.

Tonight she brought home her music from school and is treating me to rehearsal... she is playing John Williams' The Cowboys. I've always loved this music but I never realized what a terrific horn part it had until now. She is filling up the house with gorgeous sound. This is a good house to fill with high ceilings and wood floors. There isn't a lot of great acoustical material to grab the sound so it does tend to bounce around a bit, but it still sounds beautiful.

So thanks, Kel. I've enjoyed the treat...

No comments: